Stanford White at the University of Virginia : the new buildings on the South Lawn and the reconstruction of the Rotunda in 1896
Yetter, George Humphrey, Department of Architectural History, University of Virginia
Wilson, Richard, Department of Architectural History, University of Virginia
Wiebenson, Dora, Department of Architecture, University of Virginia
Nichols, Frederick, Department of Architectural History, University of Virginia
For eighty-two years the buildings of the architect Stanford White have stood, together with those of Thomas Jefferson, around the central lawn of the University of Virginia. From the first day of construction, they have been a source of continuing controversy; seen either as a sympathetic, ingenious and innovative completion of the original fabric or an inept and brutal addition to an otherwise perfect scheme. The purpose of this thesis is to prove that White's work was thoroughly circumscribed by the University's governing body, the Board of Visitors; but, nonetheless, he provided an effective reconstruction and development program in character with the existing structures and yet expressive of its own era. An important sidelight is the discovery that, while consistent with his principles, the site for the new buildings was neither his first choice nor desired intention for the work.
The investigation delves into the history of the buildings at the University of Virginia with insight into Jefferson's inspirations and intentions; studies the partners of the McKim, Mead and White firm individually and collectively; traces the development of American collegiate architectural and planning traditions; outlines White's work at the University; and appraises the result as proper to its time, place and circumstances.
MARH (Master of Architectural History)
White, Stanford -- 1853-1906, University of Virginia -- Buildings -- History, University of Virginia Rotunda (Charlottesville, Va.) -- History, Rotundas -- Virginia -- Charlottesville -- History
All rights reserved (no additional license for public reuse)